you can’t imagine going on summer vacation without your pet, road trips make a
great option. But before you hit the road, you’ll want to make sure that you’ve
packed everything your pet might need during the journey. To help you out,
we’ve put together a list of the must-bring items for any summer road trip with
pets, be it across the city, the state, or even the country!
A cooler with plenty of food
No summer road trip is complete without a selection of snacks for you and your pet to nibble on as the miles pass. Before leaving, fill up a cooler with your pet’s favorite Freshpet treats and recipes as well as a selection of pet-safe human snacks you can enjoy together. Not sure which snacks fall in this category? Take a look at our list of human foods your pet can enjoy as well. Keeping them in a cooler will ensure that they stay fresh during the drive, regardless of the distance.
A selection of engaging toys
out the window is only going to keep your pet occupied for so long, which means
you’ll need to have some car-friendly toys ready for when they’re in need of a
- For dogs: Our number one recommendation would be a Kong, as they come in a variety of shapes and sizes and are easy for your pet to play with while remaining stationary. Plus, they can be filled with their favorite Freshpet treats or recipe, which will keep them busy for a good chunk of the drive.
- For cats: The Doc and Phoebe Indoor Hunting Feeder is an excellent car-safe toy. Just like a Kong, it can be filled with your cat’s favorite snacks, which they have to ‘hunt’ and work to extract.
A spill-proof water bowl
Chances are, your pet’s regular water bowl won’t cut it for a road trip. Instead, you’ll want to invest in one with a spill-proof design that is made specifically for use in the car. The Kurgo No Spill Dog Travel Bowl is a great option as it has a tapered lip, which helps reduce splashing while traveling, and a unique wedge design that allows it to lay flat on car seats. Bonus points for the fact that it’s also made from a food-grade, dishwasher-safe material!
Some of the comforts of home
exciting as it is to be on vacation, all of the changes can leave your pet feeling
a bit unsettled. To minimize these feelings of anxiety, it’s helpful to bring
some items from home that have a familiar smell. Some great options include
- Soft bed
- Favorite blanket
- Plush or rope toys
- Any other item that could
easily hold the smell of home
Letting your pet sit with these items during the drive and at rest stops will give them a sense of familiarity and comfort in an ever-changing environment.
Products that calm anxious pets
the comforts of home aren’t curbing your pet’s anxiety, you’ll want to have a
few backup items packed that are designed to calm nervous pets. These could
- ThunderShirt: This vest-like shirt is designed to apply gentle, but constant, pressure to calm all types of anxiety, fear, and over-excitement issues in both cats and dogs.
- Feliway Classic Spray: This calming spray is designed to make travel less stressful for cats. Simply spray it in their carrier 10 minutes before you put your cat in and reapply every four hours.
- ADAPTIL Calm On-The-Go Collar: This collar releases calming pheramones to help dogs feel reassured and relaxed in all challenging situations.
of these accessories make great alternative to sedatives, which require a
prescription from a vet and have the potential for side effects.
Accessories to beat the heat
Even in an air-conditioned car, your pet may need some extra help to stay cool. Fortunately, there are a number of cooling accessories that are easy to pack and use during your summer road trip.
- Use a cooling pad: Putting a cooling pad, such as the one by Green Pet Shop, on top of the car seat is an easy way to keep your pet cool during the drive, especially if your car has leather seats.
- Pack a cooling bandana: You can also try using a cooling bandana, like this one from ALL FOR PAWS, that’s a more car-friendly alternative to the traditional cooling vest.
You now have your packing list covered, but if you’re looking for inspiration on destinations or stops for your road trip, why not take a look at this list of the country’s most pet-friendly cities!