iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
The best raincoats for dogs will keep pups dry when it’s time to play in the rain! Maybe your dog loves going out in the rain, or maybe not, but either way, soggy days mean your pup gets muddy and wet outside and tracks it all back in the house! But having a quality rainjacket for your dog will save you from cleaning up a mess and keeps your pup nice and dry even when the sky drops buckets on your day. And with our list of the best raincoats for dogs, you’ll find the perfect choice that fits your pup and their personality.
More than a fashion statement to show off at the dog park, dog raincoats prevent your dog’s fur from getting moldy and tangled while keeping them warm and dry when outside in wet, chilly weather. Whether on a long stroll or out in the garden for a little bathroom break, throwing a high-quality raincoat over your dog’s back will make all the difference! But how do you choose a raincoat for your dog? What features should you consider, and how do you know if it’s right for you? We know how overwhelming wading through endless options can be. But no worries! We’ve got you covered when it comes to finding the best raincoats for dogs.
We’ve researched the top-rated dog raincoats and compiled a comprehensive list of the best products on the market. And if you’re still feeling a little lost, we’ve even put together an in-depth buying guide to answer all your dog raincoat-related questions. So prepare to dive into stylish, well-made raincoats to keep your dog warm and dry, whatever the season!
Your FAQ Related To Dog Raincoats
At what temperature should dogs wear coats?
According to the American Kennel Club (AKC), even thick-haired dogs can suffer from hypothermia or frostbite in freezing weather. If the temperature is in the mid-40s Fahrenheit / 4.4 degrees Celsius or lower, it’s time to dress that animal.
Can a cat wear a dog raincoat?
Yes, a cat can wear a dog raincoat as long as it’s comfortable and tight. The only problem is since most dog raincoats are made for large dogs and not small cats, it can be challenging to find such a jacket in a cat size. In addition, the raincoat can limit the cat’s movements and prevent it from doing its usual daily activities. So if you’re looking for the best raincoat for cats, try to stick to jackets made specifically for felines.
Do dog raincoats keep your dog’s paws dry?
It depends on the specific coat—some have full-leg coats to help keep your dog’s legs from getting wet, and others feature a sportier cut with exposed legs. Some have front legs in their design, while your dog’s hind legs will still be exposed. Boots or shoes for dogs are probably the better options for keeping your dog’s paws dry.
Features to Consider When Buying the Best Raincoat for Your Dog
Keep these important factors in mind when shopping for the best raincoat for your dog.
Obviously, the material on your dog’s rain jacket should be waterproof. Look for waterproof or water-resistant TPU, polyester, or nylon fabrics. Also, be aware that waterproof and water-resistant aren’t the same. Water-resistant fabrics stand up to moisture but only so much. If you want your pup to stay dry and not damp, look for waterproof claims. For walks and hikes in regions with heavy rainfall, buying a waterproof jacket is the smartest choice. On the other hand, choosing a water-resistant coat will do the trick if you’re looking for a dog raincoat your furry friend can wear daily to protect them from the cold, wind, and puddles.
The raincoat you choose for your dog should be easy to clean and washable. Generally, dog rain jackets are machine washable or can be hand-washed. However, some coats must be taken to a professional dry cleaner to remove dirt. Before choosing your dog’s raincoat, choose an easy-care raincoat. Otherwise, you’ll be stuck making trips to a dry cleaner with a rain jacket that may only last for a little while.
Of course, any raincoat you choose for your dog should correspond to its physical parameters. Take your dog’s measurements and check the size charts on the jackets you’re interested in. Don’t just assume a size will fit your little friend, or you might be making a return. Also, when looking for the right raincoat, search for rain jackets made for your dog breed.
Some dogs like to cover their heads when running outside in the rain, but not all do! If your pup likes to play in wet weather, consider getting a hooded design that will protect their ears and face from moisture and keep his whole body warm when the temperature drops during the year’s colder months.
Look for a waterproof, tear-resistant outer shell with solid seams that won’t tear or come apart quickly. Your dog will likely tug on the jacket, so durable fabric is essential.
While not as important as durability and functionality, style is the fun part of choosing a raincoat for your furry friend. With so many raincoat styles, colors, and designs available, you can find the best rain jacket to reflect your pup’s personality.
The best dog raincoats will provide multiple adjustment points to give your dog a tailored fit that keeps out the wet. Choose coats that adjust at the waist, neck, and back if possible. Rear leg loops are also an excellent choice to keep the jacket in place in windy weather.
The 10 Best Raincoats for Dogs
The Kurgo Dog Rain Jacket makes our list of the best dog raincoats because it’s made from ultra-durable ripstop fabric with a rugged coating to withstand wear and tear. This waterproof dog jacket is built for endless outdoor adventures in any weather. The rain collar flips up tall on the neck for extra protection from a downpour, while the mesh lining makes it breathable for extended periods of wear. And two adjustment points allow your pup a comfortable yet snug fit. The leash release and quick-release buckles make it easy to dress your friend for instant adventures. Plus, the reflective details and piping will keep you safe in dark and stormy conditions. And because this coat fits well and it’s flimsy, strong breezes won’t roll it up or flap it in your pup’s face.
- Open-style fit offers freedom of movement for active dogs
- Made of water-resistant ripstop polyester
- Two adjustable slides create a more custom fit
- Features a convenient leash slit on the back
- Flip up collar offers more protection from rain
- Horizontal leash opening for easy attachment
- Quick release buckles
- Durable ripstop stands up to weather and dogs
- Easy-to-clean material
- No pockets
- Only suitable for extra small dogs
Keep your dog dry and looking good with the Pro Plums Dog Raincoat. This 100% polyester raincoat features an adjustable collar, back strap, and leg loops for a superior fit. And because it’s styled with contrast piping on all sides and reflective trim for low-light conditions, your dog will be safe and stylish! And made of lightweight waterproof fabric, it’s easy to wear and machine washable. This highly-rated and affordable raincoat is available in two colors and three sizes, featuring reflective trim and a harness slot for attaching a leash. It’s an excellent option for lots of coverage from the rain.
- Designed to fit large dogs
- Offered in multiple sizes
- Adjustable collar and back strap
- Features reflective trim for visibility
- Offers a harness opening for easy leash attachment
- Mesh lining for temperature control
- Great lightweight raincoat for warmer temperatures
- Breathable mesh lining
- Lightweight and waterproof
- High collar design
- Fully adjustable
- Harness/leash opening
- Reflective trim
- No hood, but there is an adjustable collar
- Leg loops may not fit larger dogs
- Fabric is lightweight, not ideal for heavy downpours
The Vizpet Dog Raincoat is an easy-to-wear vest-style coat that covers your dog’s stomach and back. This choice of rain jacket for dogs looks good and keeps pups dry on rainy hikes and walks. It’s lightweight, breathable, and comfortable to wear. The outer material is nylon with a waterproof coating, and a soft fleece inner lining offers extra warmth. It works well for rain and wet snow. The high collar protects your dog from wind and rain, but it can also be folded up if they don’t care for it.
As for the leash attachment, you’ll find a sizeable slot for collar access. And if your pup wears a front-clip harness, the open chest design allows for easy leash clipping too. Two adjustable Velcro straps around the neck and chest fully open, so this coat is easy to put on and adjust to your pup’s frame. That means there are no leg holes to step through for dogs who tend to be a bit stubborn. Plus, the two reflective strips down the back are bright for easier visibility in gray weather. And with six sizes available, including XXXL, this is a raincoat for big dogs!
- Lightweight with a soft fleece lining for colder temperatures
- Easy to put on thanks to adjustable Velcro straps
- Available in 2 colors, both with reflective strips
- Available in six sizes, from S – XXXL
- 100% Satisfaction with a 60-Day Guarantee
- Vest-style for easy dressing
- Nylon waterproof outer shell and inner fleece lining
- Breathable, comfortable, and lightweight
- Allows easy leash attachment for front-clip harnesses
- Machine washable
- Some users report small sizing
The Morezi Waterproof Dog Rain Coat is a great way to keep your dog warm, dry, and adorable in wet weather. This coat has a waterproof outer layer and an inner fleece lining to keep your dog comfortable and dry in rainy, windy, and snowy conditions. The hoodie helps their ears and head stay warm and dry too! In milder weather, you can remove the hood by simply unsnapping it. Adjustable neck and chest straps ensure a perfect fit. Velcro closures allow for easy coat adjustment as well. Reflective strips add extra safety at night. With six available jacket sizes and six bold colors to choose from, you’re sure to find the fit your bestie needs with this cute dog raincoat!
- Waterproof and breathable material
- Adjustable neck strap
- Reflective strips for nighttime visibility
- Comes in six different sizes
- Six color choices: black, pink, dark blue, blue with ducks, red, and yellow
- Easy to pack, can be folded for storage
- Stylish design
- Lightweight and durable
- Harness hole
- Double-layered zippered design
- Adjustable drawstring for a better fit
- The ties for the hood are short
- Material has no elastic give; choose size carefully
Combine a wetsuit’s protection with a jacket’s ease of use! The Hurtta Rain Blocker completely protects dogs from the wettest of weather with a full-coverage design that even includes protection of the front legs and chest. Adjustable points at the back, waist, neckline, rain collar, and leg openings offer a perfect fit while allowing for freedom of movement. The high rain collar easily keeps water from dripping into the coat. And large reflectors on the collar and back hem improve visibility in the dark.
In addition, this best dog rain jacket option is designed for breeds of all sizes with a bevy of choices. Plus, choose from four trendy colors: Camo, Raven, Hedge, and Stream. In terms of price, this model is significantly more expensive than other choices on the market, but the rain protection it offers can be worth the cost if wet days are a constant in your area.
- Waterproof fabrics with taped seams
- High collar with protective rain trap to stop necks from getting wet
- Full-coverage design
- Highly visible 3M reflectors
- Adjustable back length, waist, and collar
- Harness accessible
- Machine washable
- Double-layered and waterproof
- Reflective strips for visibility
- Multiple adjustment points for good fit
- Sleeved-leg design can make it harder to put on squirmy dogs
- Thin material
- More expensive option
The Canada Pooch Slush Raincoat offers all-around protection against rain and snow. With its water-resistant exterior shell, this full-suit coat will put an end to messes that come from muddy and slushy walks! Plus, it’s cute and comfortable for dogs who like to stay busy. A side zipper & button snaps on the legs make this raincoat for dogs easy to put on, and dogs can do their business with no problem thanks to the wide opening around the tail. This suit is also lightweight, breathable, and ideal for pups who don’t need extra insulation. And with the choice of ten sizes, you’ll find a fit for the smallest to the largest dogs.
- Full-body suit protection from rain, snow, mud & dirt
- Made of 95% Polyester and 5% Spandex
- Button snaps at front & back legs, with two adjustment points
- Lightweight and breathable
- Comfortable to wear, allows freedom of movement
- Excellent quality and looks stylish
- Available in ten sizes
- Side zipper closure
- Adjustable neck
- Machine washable; hang to dry
- Comfortable to wear
- Lighter material for mild temperatures
- Wide size range means a fit for all breeds
Who doesn’t love rubber duckies? And won’t your pup be too cute decked out in ducks on rainy days? Your dog will be an adorable ray of sunshine while keeping dry! This jacket makes our list of best raincoats for dogs not only for its cuteness but also because it’s easy to strap on, thanks to trusty Velcro. And with a choice of four sizes, dogs small to tall will find a fit. While this cape-style raincoat may not be ideal for downpours and rainy hikes, it will be great for light rains and quick walks. Plus, the cute factor goes up a notch when you pull up the hood to protect your pup’s head and ears. And if it’s not rubber ducks that make you swoon, check out the array of pattern choices available. You’ll find flowers, silly sharks, frogs, dinosaurs, and more!
- 100% polyester material with waterproof coating
- Adorable ducky print brightens up a rainy-day walk
- Easy to keep clean; hand wash in cold water and lay flat to dry
- Secure belly straps help keep the raincoat in place
- Four sizes and tons of cute patterns
- Adjustable neck
- Washable polyester fabric
- Well-designed and high-quality
- Lots of attractive designs for every pup’s personality
- Cape-style may not provide enough coverage for heavy rain
Want to be matchy with your pup in a cute yellow rain slicker? Here’s your perfect chance! The Ellie Dog Rain Jacket is a great raincoat and perfect for all weather conditions. To protect your pup from rain, sleet, wind, or snow, this raincoat is double-layered with a zipper and snap button flaps around the collar to give your dog extra wind protection. Plus, it’s styled with multiple buttoned pockets for easy storage of small items and includes a removable hood. Adjustable toggles allow you to tighten the hood and waist for a better fit. And this rain jacket is machine washable!
- Double-layered zip-up raincoat with additional buttons
- Toggle slides for adjustable fit
- Multiple pockets for small storage
- Comfortable and non-restrictive
- Provides good belly coverage
- Easy to put on and take off
- Bright, vibrant yellow that’s too cute
- Snug hoodie keeps your dog’s ears warm and dry
- Durable and machine washable
- Not suitable for large breeds
The Hurtta brand makes our best raincoats for dogs with a jacket that’s 100% waterproof and made to keep your dog dry even in the heaviest downpours. A rain collar made of a waterproof tricot around the inside edge of the collar prevents water from rolling inside the coat and onto your furry friend. And while providing lots of coverage, the Monsoon raincoat is lightweight, breathable, and fully adjustable in collar, waist, and back length. The wide belly flap keeps the coat in place, ensuring it stays on without restricting the dog’s movement. Choose from four colors and an array of sizes to cover dogs of all breeds.
- 100% waterproof heavy-duty raincoat
- Lightweight, stylish design
- Reflective print & piping
- Fully adjustable at the collar, waist & back
- Quality material and well-made
- Lightweight and high-quality material
- Harness/leash hole opening
- Lightweight & breathable
- Fully taped seams
- Quick-release buckle
- Overhead slide-on design
- Fitting issues for some thick-breed dogs
#10 – HAPEE Dog Raincoat – Best Easy-to-Wear Dog Raincoat
The HAPEE Dog Raincoat will protect your dog from the rain with a lightweight, easy-to-wear design that’s perfect for dogs of all sizes, including large breeds, small dogs, and puppies. Made of waterproof TPU and highly adjustable, this long cape-style dog raincoat is comfortable and easy to put on and take off. It also dries in a flash, which means no stinky, mildewy jackets hanging in your home. And it won’t stick to your pup’s wet fur.
In addition, thanks to the high air permeability of the material used in its construction, it’s highly resistant to water. For your evening walks, the HAPEE raincoat features reflective stripes in its design, ensuring your dog is visible no matter where you walk. Other features include adjustable hip and leg straps, both of which are highly flexible. Choose from eight sizes and four vibrant colors while enjoying the affordable price.
- Lightweight and easy to wear
- Reflective strips for low-light visibility
- Highly adjustable belly strap
- Heavy-duty and 100% waterproof
- Fully adjustable to ensure a snug fit
- Provides good belly coverage
- Easy to put on and take off
- Comfortable and non-restrictive
- Made of high-quality material that doesn’t wear or tear
- Four color options and eight sizes
- Large size may be too big for a large-sized dog
Whether your pup enjoys frolicking in the rain or despises the wet chill, they’ll like having a raincoat of their very own. For dogs who love rain, seeing the jacket will let them know it’s time to splash in some puddles. And dogs who don’t like rain will appreciate a coat so they can stay dry while doing their business. And because the market for dog rain jackets is flooded, hopefully, our list of the best raincoats for dogs will narrow your search so you can suit up your pup against wet weather!