iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
If your pup is a worrier, perhaps our list of the best calming supplements for dogs is just what the two of you need to get through tough moments. Calming supplements work to bring relaxation to dogs during instances that bring on stress and anxiety. They’re a great aid in helping dogs through thunderstorms, fireworks, car rides, visitors, nail trims, or any other moments that may bring your best buddy some tension and worry!
Dogs with separation anxiety and those who get destructive in their nervousness can benefit from calming supplements too. Helping your dog achieve some peace is often as simple as feeding them a tasty soft chew or liquid-dosed snack they’ll think is a treat.
Which dog calming supplement will be the one that works best for your dog?
We can’t make that choice for you, but we can help you make an informed decision. In addition to our list of the best calming supplements for dogs, we have the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about calming aids for dogs and the factors to consider before making your choice.
FAQ About Calming Supplements for Dogs
What ingredients do calming supplements for dogs contain?
Most commonly, you’ll find the following active ingredients in the best natural calming supplements for dogs:
- L-theanine – an amino acid found in tea and mushrooms known for its ability to ease stress, anxiety, and insomnia
- L-tryptophan – an amino acid found in beef, poultry, eggs, and dairy that’s essential for creating protein and the production of certain brain chemicals such as serotonin
- Chamomile – often made into a tea that’s sipped to help with relaxation, chamomile acts as a mild sedative that gently eases stress
- CBD – derived from hemp plants for use in dog calming supplements, cannabidiol or CBD offers another great natural source of anxiety relief for dogs
- Melatonin – a hormone made by the pineal gland in response to darkness that can be beneficial for dogs with severe anxiety and sleep issues
- Lemon Balm – an herb with calming properties good for anxiety and digestion
- Passionflower – another herb used for its help as a calming agent that works by increasing gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) levels in the brain
- Valerian Root – a beneficial herb long known for its mild sedative power and ability to aid in sleep
This isn’t a complete list of agents used in calming supplements, but you’ll see these common ingredients featured in many of our choices for the best calming supplement for dogs.
What is the best calming supplement for dogs?
That’s totally up to your dog. Some dogs may find more relief from one product, while another pup does better with a different option. Plus, taste and texture can also play a role. If your dog is picky, you surely know this! So, truly, the best calming supplement for dogs is the one that fits your furry one’s needs best.
Will CBD make my dog feel high?
No. CBD does not make dogs high. The THC in cannabis is responsible for the psychoactive effects felt when consuming or combusting cannabis. For over-the-counter calming supplements, CBD is extracted from hemp plants, meaning you’ll find no THC in the supplement’s makeup.
Does hemp reduce dog anxiety?
While CBD is a compound found in hemp plants, hemp is the plant itself. And yes, hemp seed oil can help your dog’s anxious moments. When it comes to including hemp in food and supplements, product makers turn to oil made from hemp plant seeds. Hemp seed oil not only promotes relaxation and anxiety relief, but it also quiets inflammation, reduces pain, improves skin and coat, and so much more.
Additionally, certain terpenes found in hemp plants can also help provide anxiety relief and relaxation. Terpenes are plant compounds that give plants, fruits, and vegetables their scents and flavors. For example, linalool is the terpene that gives lavender plants their lovely aroma and is known for its help in reducing stress.
Do calming supplements make dogs sleepy?
Because some of the best calming supplements for dogs contain ingredients that act as mild sedatives, dogs may get drowsy after taking a supplement for nerves. But always remember, like us, every dog is an individual, so while one pup may be ready for a nap after a calming chew, others may be ready to go about their day with less anxiety and little sleepiness.
Factors to Consider When Shopping for Dog Calming Supplements
Because so many ingredients in calming supplements are derived from natural sources, choosing high-quality products that source their components from reputable sources is important. Sticking with organic options in this instance may be your best bet. And whenever possible, choose products that don’t contain artificial preservatives, colorings, or flavors.
You’ll find most calming supplements are formulated as soft chews, so you can easily feed them to your pup to help with stress and anxiety symptoms. Some calming aids are sold in liquid form. Liquid formulas come with a dropper-style lid so you can easily squeeze the appropriate dose over your dog’s dinner or moisten any of their favorite snacks or treats to guarantee they’ll eat it when they need relief.
Hemp is a phytoextraction plant, which means it absorbs heavy metals from the ground in order to clean the soil around the plant. Therefore, it’s important to buy quality organic CBD products that offer third-party testing results to ensure you’re giving your dog the cleanest and safest product possible.
The 10 Best Calming Supplements for Dogs
Cannanine™ Ultra-Premium Broad Spectrum Hemp Oil works to reduce anxiety by interacting with the endocannabinoid system (ECS), a group of receptors located throughout the body, brain, and central nervous system of all animals. When introduced to the ECS, Cannanine binds to these receptors, helping to bring the body and mind back into balance. And not only does this premium CBD oil for dogs help with anxiety, but it’s also one of the best calming supplements for aggressive dogs, as CBD promotes a sense of calm that builds into lasting relief with each successive dose. And with three dosage formulas available, you can find just the right amount for your dog. Since quality is of the utmost important, Cannanine is made using organically-grown hemp that’s hand collected on family farms in Colorado.
- Winner of the ‘Purity Award’ 3 years in a row
- Effective anxiety relief with NO THC
- Available in 250mg, 500 mg, and 1000 mg strengths
- Provides allergy and itch relief
- Easy to use dropper for applying to food or treats
- Third-party tested for purity
- Made in the USA
- Every purchase provides 7 meals for shelter pets
- May seem expensive, but premium CBD is worth the cost
Help your furry friend find themselves again when worry sets in with iHeartDogs 9-in-1 Calming Chews for Dogs with Hemp, Melatonin, Chamomile, Passion Flower, Valerian Root & Probiotics. If you still want the power of hemp without the CBDs, these yummy soft chews offer a 240mg dose of organic hemp powder that offers natural relief from anxiety. And working with the beneficial hemp is a powerful bouquet of calm-inducing ingredients you can safely trust to support better sleep, less anxiety, and improved digestion. With auto-ship, you can save 5% on every order and feed more shelter dogs.
- Eases anxiety while improving digestion
- Promotes better sleep
- Veterinarian formulated
- Affordable option
- Third-party tested for purity
- Made in the USA
- Each bag purchased provides 14 healthy meals to shelter dogs
- You’ll have to tell your dog no when they beg for more
Solid Gold Calming Chews for Dogs contain a proprietary blend of chamomile, valerian root, L-theanine, Ashwagandha, L-tryptophan, and melatonin to help your dog find their composure. These calming chews also contain NutrientBoost, a blend of nutrients, plasma, amino acids, and protein to support digestion, immunity, and nutrient absorption. And with a smoked bacon flavor that makes tails wag, they’re easy to feed your dog. Made in the USA with US and globally sourced ingredients.
- Helps with everyday stress and sleep issues
- No corn, wheat, or artificial preservatives added
- Large quantity for affordable price
- Decreases hyperactivity in some dogs
- For dogs of all sizes
- May upset some dogs’ stomachs
Giving your dog relief from anxiety and stress is simple with GNC Pets Omega Calming Dog Supplements. A chicken-flavored soft chew that’s easy to swallow, this choice of best calming supplement for dogs features a safe and effective blend of L-tryptophan, chamomile, and ginger to support calm and relaxation in adult dogs. GNC also packs their supplements with omega fatty acids and flaxseed for anti-inflammatory benefits to the body. And just like their supplements for humans, GNC Pets’ uses quality ingredients and safe manufacturing practices in the USA.
- Promotes stress and anxiety relief with natural ingredients
- Offers the anti-inflammatory benefits of omegas and flaxseed
- Easy to chew and swallow
- Highly affordable option
- Available in 124 count and 240 count
- Made in the USA
- Some reviewers report strong odor in the chews
A great calming supplement for senior dogs, Zesty Paws Senior Advanced Calming & Cognition Soft Chews for Dogs supports brain health and cognitive function while offering stress reduction through a form of Ashwagandha known as Sensoril. Ashwagandha, a medicinal herb also known as Indian ginseng, is known for its body-wide benefits, including its power to relieve stress and anxiety. These tasty chews also include DHAGold, lion’s mane mushroom, and chamomile, making them great for nervous behaviors brought on by storms, thunder, car rides, separation, or fireworks. And because of its help with hyperactivity, these chews can be considered one of the best calming supplements for hyper dogs. They’re made in the USA from US and globally sourced ingredients.
- Contains Sensoril, a clinically studied form of Ashwagandha
- Dogs love the chicken flavor
- No artificial flavors, preservatives, or synthetic colors
- Great for senior dogs needing a cognitive boost
- On the pricey side
- Some dogs may not care for the flavor
Helopssa Hemp Calming Chews for Dogs helps dogs keep calm and composed when stressful moments strike using natural ingredients such as valerian extract, chamomile extract, hemp oil, passionflower, and L-tryptophan. And with ginger and turmeric, your dog will also enjoy less aches and pains in their joints. They’ll also love the duck flavor of these chewy bites, which makes delivering relief that much easier. Aggressive dogs may also benefit from this effective calming aid.
- Provides gentle sedation
- Also provides inflammatory relief
- Contains hemp seed oil
- Appetizing taste of duck
- No artificial chemicals or ingredients
- For dogs of all ages and sizes
- Some buyers reported diarrhea and vomiting in their dog
To give your dog some peace and a hearty dose of beneficial oils, easily squeeze a dose of Charlie & Buddy Pet Hеmp Oil over your pup’s dinner or on their favorite treat. Free of THC, gluten, and GMOs, this organic hemp oil is also rich in omegas 3, 6, and 9, as well as vitamins B and E. It relieves stress and anxiety while helping with chronic pain, arthritis, and inflammation. Choose this affordably priced calming aid for dogs if your pup needs help getting restful sleep or support for a balanced mood. Made in the USA.
- Organic hemp oil with NO THC
- Also contains omega fatty acids and vitamin E
- Gluten free and non-GMO
- Use drops orally or topically
- Lab tested for purity
- For cats and dogs
- May not relieve severe anxiety
Another of the best natural calming supplements for dogs, PREMIUM CARE Hemp Calming Chews for Dogs lets you give your anxious dog the taste of duck while calming their nerves. In this vet-recommended calming aid, you’ll find natural ingredients like organic passion flower and ginger root, plus chamomile, valerian root, and l-tryptophan to promote a sense of relaxation without drowsiness. The addition of organic hemp and hemp seed oil ups the calming power of these chews and helps your pup maintain healthy stress levels and emotional balance.
- Veterinarian recommended
- Includes organic hemp powder and hemp seed oil
- Available in 60-count or 120-count
- Exciting duck flavor
- Free from artificial preservatives, wheat, corn, and added sugars
- Picky pups may not enjoy the taste
- While a lifesaver for some dogs, other parents report little difference in their dogs
VETRISCIENCE Composure Calming Treats feature a proprietary colostrum calming complex biopeptide blend that works with L-theanine and thiamine to manage stress and support calmer behavior. These chicken-liver-flavored chews include thiamine, or B1, in their formula, as a lack of this essential vitamin could potentially lead to mental confusion, muscle weakness, reduced appetite, and nervousness. And as a big bonus, they’re designed to work within half an hour as well as provide stress relief for up to four hours. They are also formulated by veterinarians and manufactured in the USA with naturally sourced ingredients.
- Works within 30 minutes
- Lasts up to 4 hours
- Can be given daily as needed
- Yummy chicken liver flavor
- Highly affordable
- Veterinarian formulated
- May cause hyper behavior in some dogs
One of the best calming supplements for small dogs, NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid blends thiamine and L-tryptophan to help with stress and melatonin for quality rest and relaxation. The addition of ginger helps with upset stomachs, providing relief for motion sickness. Thanks to a re-sealable jar, your pup’s chews will stay soft and moist. These chews are designed for dogs over twelve weeks of age.
- Can be used daily as needed
- Helps with motion sickness too
- Sold in multiple quantities to meet your needs
- Re-sealable jar for maximum freshness
- Free of wheat
- Made in the USA
- Reviewers mention chews have strong smell
If your pup is one who frets at certain situations or has full-out anxiety, help them blow away their worries with one of these best calming supplements for dogs! We’ve included options that are great for senior dogs as well as dogs who suffer from aggression, hyperactivity, and separation anxiety. Surely, you’ll find the chew or liquid that can help your furry bestie find some Zen.