Did you know that some plants could be toxic to your pup? Eating a poisonous plant can be incredibly dangerous for your dog or cat. Unfortunately, several house plants can cause severe issues if ingested by your pet, so before turning your home into a greenhouse, here are some plants to avoid or keep out of reach of your furry friends!
Houseplants that are Toxic to Pets
Tulips are poisonous to dogs if eaten. The entire tulip is toxic for dogs, including the tulip bulb. As a result, your dog can suffer from gastrointestinal problems, central nervous system depression, convulsions, and death.
The Zamioculcas Zamifolia or ZZ Plant is a hardy houseplant but is considered toxic for dogs and people if ingested. When eaten, the ZZ Plant can cause diarrhea and vomiting. In addition, the sap of the plant is considered an irritant that can be painful and burn a pet’s mouth and throat. If your dog ingests the leaves of your ZZ Plant, monitor them closely and remove pieces of the plant from their mouth. Drinking lots of water can help combat the burning sensation and keep them hydrated if they are vomiting.
Sharp calcium oxalate crystals in the leaves can irritate a dog’s mouth and cause severe swelling and burning of the mouth and tongue. The irritation can lead to difficulty breathing and, in very severe cases, death.
Pothos or Devil’s Ivy
This plant is toxic to both dogs and cats and can irritate the mouth and tongue. Your pet can also suffer from vomiting, increased salivation, and swallowing difficulties if the plant is ingested.
There are quite a few different lily plants that are toxic to animals. The Peace Lily is toxic to dogs and cats, while the Stargazer and Easter Lilies are toxic to cats only. The Stargazer and Easter Lily can be fatal to cats if untreated and affects their appetite and kidneys. As for the Peace Lily, your dog or cat could start vomiting and have difficulty swallowing due to irritated lips and tongue.
Eating an Ivy plant can lead to skin rashes and/or breathing problems in your dog. If left untreated the Ivy can also lead to a coma or paralysis.
While the gel inside the aloe plant isn’t toxic, the outside of the leaves and other parts of the plant are harmful to your dog’s digestive system. If eaten by a dog, expect to see tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, and tiredness.
Palm plants are very popular in warm climates and are very alluring and delicious to dogs. Every part of the palm plant is toxic to dogs and cats, with the seeds being the most poisonous. Symptoms of poisoning will start quickly, usually within 15 minutes of the pet eating the palm. Early signs of palm poisoning include vomiting, drooling, and a refusal to eat. The sooner your pet is treated by their veterinarian, the better! If your dog eats your palm plant they may suffer from liver failure and possible death if you do not go to the vet in time!
What Do I Do If My Dog Ingests Something Toxic?
Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs
- Gastrointestinal signs: vomiting, diarrhea, extreme salivation, loss of appetite, and nausea or dry heaving
- Internal bleeding: indicated by pale gums, a racing heart, coughing up or vomiting blood, weakness or lethargy, or falling over or collapsing
- Kidney failure: increased or decreased urination, increased drinking as well as lack of appetite, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Liver failure: yellow gums, acting abnormally or dully as well as tarry stool (melena), vomiting, diarrhea, or collapsing due to low blood sugar
Can Plant Toxicity Cause Paralysis in Dogs?
Ingesting a poisonous plant can cause paralysis in dogs. However, gastrointestinal distress is the more common symptom when a pet ingests a toxic plant.
How to Treat Dog Poisoning
If you suspect your dog has ingested something toxic or poisonous, do not try to treat your dog at home! Instead, make sure to call your vet immediately, and if you know what your dog has eaten, be sure to be upfront with that information! Please do not be embarrassed that your dog has eaten something it shouldn’t have.
There is a diverse range of treatments for a dog who has been poisoned, including endoscopy and removal, inducing sickness, or severe cases, surgery. Your vet can determine the best course of action depending on what has poisoned your dog and how severe its symptoms are.